Skip to main content

GCRT Day 11 and 12: Arches and Friends :-)


Day 11 and 12—Arches National Park and Colorado (and friends)

The morning of day 11, we sleepily tried to get up early to hit Arches National Park before we journeyed to Colorado to try to make it to Dustin’s house in Denver by suppertime.  We were now firmly in the dog days of our journey, and Emma, who has been fantastic throughout the trip, was truly worn out.  She mustered up a little spirit, though, and agreed to get out of bed and see yet another national park.    
They are so ready for another adventure, can't you tell?

Luckily, you could observe most of Arches by the car because the Dentons were tired, yo.  I did convince everyone to go on a little trail walk to the Balanced Rock, and I think that they did have fun, but then the heat and exhaustion got to everyone, and we agreed that we would find some arches and leave.
 
 
 
 

After we drove through Arches, it was time to hightail it to Denver.   Again the scenery of our drive changed.  We suddenly were no longer in the desert, but were climbing up the Rocky Mountains and watching as the Colorado River showed us why it is so famous.  Even though the drive is not for the weak at heart (Coloradans drive fast, yo, and the guy who makes the that winding road sign got an early retirement from his work in the Colorado mountains), it was amazing.  I kept trying to snap a picture of the Colorado River rushing through the mountains, but the roads were so curvy that I could never adequately catch the view.  You’ll just have to trust me when I say it looked like some kind of alpine fantasy—evergreens, beautiful rushing water, and mountains towering above (and me telling Brad every time I saw a winding road sign because he loves my assistance in reading road signs). 


Napkins added to the dash for a touch of reality



We finally arrived in Denver and to Dustin’s in time for supper.  Dustin lives in downtown Denver in the cutest house ever with coffered ceilings, a front porch, and quaint backyard, and he generously allowed us to crash in his basement and eat his hamburgers.   The kids played lawn golf while we caught up over supper, and it was a great night of tall-tale telling.

The next morning, we attended Dustin’s church (S. Broadway Christian Church), and it was a beautiful service.  The church was built by a wealthy benefactor in 1856 (or 7) and has beautiful stained glass and a pipe organ from 1901 (and no air conditioning, but, hey, you can’t have it all :-)).
Dustin performing children's church


Us, Dustin, and really old stained glass



There is no telling how many of these pictures I have--maybe I should do a collage??
After church we met up with Kathy Molinary Riley, her husband Mike Riley, and Mrs. Molinary, friends from years past from Mt. Dora, FL, who have moved to Colorado.  It was fun to catch up and find out how everyone has been doing and to just enjoy each other’s company.  Kathy was older than me in high school and was one of those girls who I admired, and I worked with her sister Kris and Mrs. Molinary at the day care center run by Christian Home and Bible School.   And for other Mt. Dora peeps out there, the Molinarys are doing great and Kathy and Mrs. Molinary look EXACTLY the same.  Time has been very good to them.
The Molinary/Rileys and us

And then it was time to hit the road and MAKE IT HOME (in two days)
We are ready for a long drive and lots of cows in Kansas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Set Down Gingerly and with High Anxiety so as Not to Break the Mic or Offend Others 1--Jami Uses Parentheses

Top "A Country Boy Can Survive?" Who can top Waylon? Or wait? Hank?  Or is it Paul McCartney? If you are with me and I am with this blog thing long enough, you will find that song lyrics or attributing them to the right people are not my strong suit (actually details are not my strong suit: names, dates, times, etc.) So it was really unfair for Brad to remember something from high school because I remember NOTHING from high school.  And not because I dropped acid.  Anyone who knows me knows that I did not inhale, imbibe, or get into anything except for MY incredibly baggy pants and Keds :-).  I think--cause, you know, I can't remember. I do remember vaguely that our class motto was "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail," which was attributed on Brainy Quote to Ralph Waldo Emerson (cause I had to look it up), but I don't think we attributed it to him.  Sorry, Ralph (we are on a first name basis because I...

I'm Finished Painting (for now). I Guess I'll Write?

What I've learned throughout the pandemic.  A note for the future Jami who will forget and maybe you. 1.  A lesson I already knew:  Students thrive on positive feedback; especially when they can't see your face.  Remember this future Jami--You created "Digitally Jolly Ranchers" and projected good student work daily.  Do this next year.  Students are exposed to good work daily, and it honors those who are listening, learning, and applying what they have learned.  Future Jami, you also may want to figure out how to create some type of digital bulletin board. 2.  I like being home.  Big time.  It's my favorite place in the world.  I also like making my home comfortable and beautiful.  Don't forget that, Future Jami.  You like projects.  Do them.  Don't drag your feet.  You might like projects better than (or at least equal to) naps. 3.  Jami, you are more productive at night.  It's your natural ...

Logan

I wish I remembered the morning of the day Logan was born, but I was so incredibly tired that everything about that year is a blur.  I'm guessing that Brad and I rode together to school.  Maybe I was too pregnant to touch the pedals :-). I do remember, though, when I first felt the labor pains, and I thought, "I'm not ready!"  My sub plans weren't perfect (Cindy Coker probably laughed uproariously at my plans.  I wrote things like, "say, 'What do you think the theme of this book is?' and then walk to the right side of the classroom and point to the theme poster."  Like Cindy couldn't figure anything out for herself.  Like she is not amazing.) When Logan came into this world.  .  . well, he just came.  Labor and delivery was rather uneventful.  Brad sat in a chair, the nurse was very helpful (actually, she was the amazing part of the experience), and we had a baby at 11:23 PM Thursday, February 26. What was otherworldly was my exha...