Skip to main content

GCRT Day 10: Monument Valley


Day 10 and 11—Monument Valley

Day 10 was the day that Brad had been waiting for; the day we entered Monument Valley.   Since he is a HUGE Western fan (exhibit 1:  his choice of music for this trip), he was truly looking forward to seeing where John Ford had made his movies.  We learned that the land was originally Dine land, but in 1958, they gave the land to the Navajo to run so that a man named Goulding could not get the land.  Now it is considered Navajo land, and the Navajo tribe runs the national park and the gift shop.  

Again the diversity of the land was breathtaking.  On this trip, we have seen forests, desserts, petrified forests, mesas, red rock mountains, petrified sand dunes, canyons, slot canyons, and in Monument Valley we saw enormous monuments of sandstone.  We drove the gravel road through the park and were amazed at the enormity of the monuments that were created by flash floods and wind. 

View on the road

My view to Monument Valley

The mittens

Brad so proud to share his love of John Wayne with his children




After Monument Valley, we were going to go to the Valley of the Gods, but somehow we missed the turn, and we were in the part of the trip where there was no turning around.  The drive from Page to Moab, Utah was another amazing drive, though, through desert, red rock vistas, and enormous, colorful sand dunes.


Mexican Hat, Utah; you can see this Mexican Hat if you look closely



Moab, Utah is the coolest town, and our hotel was right in the middle of downtown.   We ate at a place called Zax that was perfect—it had pasta for Emma, pizza for Logan, sweet potato fries for me, and hamburgers for Brad, and then explored the town a little on foot stopping at Pokemon stops on the way (there were 4 near our hotel).  We returned to the hotel for a little night swimming, and then fell into bed (after popcorn) that evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Set Down Gingerly and with High Anxiety so as Not to Break the Mic or Offend Others 1--Jami Uses Parentheses

Top "A Country Boy Can Survive?" Who can top Waylon? Or wait? Hank?  Or is it Paul McCartney? If you are with me and I am with this blog thing long enough, you will find that song lyrics or attributing them to the right people are not my strong suit (actually details are not my strong suit: names, dates, times, etc.) So it was really unfair for Brad to remember something from high school because I remember NOTHING from high school.  And not because I dropped acid.  Anyone who knows me knows that I did not inhale, imbibe, or get into anything except for MY incredibly baggy pants and Keds :-).  I think--cause, you know, I can't remember. I do remember vaguely that our class motto was "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail," which was attributed on Brainy Quote to Ralph Waldo Emerson (cause I had to look it up), but I don't think we attributed it to him.  Sorry, Ralph (we are on a first name basis because I...

I'm Finished Painting (for now). I Guess I'll Write?

What I've learned throughout the pandemic.  A note for the future Jami who will forget and maybe you. 1.  A lesson I already knew:  Students thrive on positive feedback; especially when they can't see your face.  Remember this future Jami--You created "Digitally Jolly Ranchers" and projected good student work daily.  Do this next year.  Students are exposed to good work daily, and it honors those who are listening, learning, and applying what they have learned.  Future Jami, you also may want to figure out how to create some type of digital bulletin board. 2.  I like being home.  Big time.  It's my favorite place in the world.  I also like making my home comfortable and beautiful.  Don't forget that, Future Jami.  You like projects.  Do them.  Don't drag your feet.  You might like projects better than (or at least equal to) naps. 3.  Jami, you are more productive at night.  It's your natural ...

Logan

I wish I remembered the morning of the day Logan was born, but I was so incredibly tired that everything about that year is a blur.  I'm guessing that Brad and I rode together to school.  Maybe I was too pregnant to touch the pedals :-). I do remember, though, when I first felt the labor pains, and I thought, "I'm not ready!"  My sub plans weren't perfect (Cindy Coker probably laughed uproariously at my plans.  I wrote things like, "say, 'What do you think the theme of this book is?' and then walk to the right side of the classroom and point to the theme poster."  Like Cindy couldn't figure anything out for herself.  Like she is not amazing.) When Logan came into this world.  .  . well, he just came.  Labor and delivery was rather uneventful.  Brad sat in a chair, the nurse was very helpful (actually, she was the amazing part of the experience), and we had a baby at 11:23 PM Thursday, February 26. What was otherworldly was my exha...