Skip to main content

Day 2--Graceland, Arkansas, and Texas

At 3 AM this morning, I awoke to Brad beating the air conditioner.  My first thought was, "Um.  .  . this does not bode well for our day."  The air conditioner had started making a horrific squealing noise.  Like, horrifically annoying.

And then the thunder started.  At 8 AM I went out to the car to get drinks for the kiddos, and I had to swim back to our room.  Again, I thought, "This does not look good."


The kids were enjoying watching TV, and we were not as well-rested as we would have liked, so we decided to change our plans and start later--preferably
after the massive thunder storm. 


Even though our early morning hours were a little rough, the rest of the day was a delight.  We made it to our first major stop--Graceland--and it was wonderful. 

 We were able to check off 33 states on our license plate scavenger hunt.  I was amazed that people from 33 countries and 3 provinces in Canada were at Graceland.  There were tons of people from Wisconsin there--Yes, Wisconsin.  I don't think I've ever seen a Wisconsin license plate, and there were probably 10 in the Graceland parking lot--so cool.  The only snafu during the tour was that Logan covered two of the ipads in Silly Putty (yes, two.  I didn't notice that he still had the Silly Putty in his hands, and I handed him mine to hold while I tried to clean his--rookie mistake), and Brad and I had to spend half the tour covertly removing Silly Putty from every crack in the cover of two Graceland ipads.  Note to self:  Silly Putty is NOT a good item to add to the kids' travel bucket, and when Brad says, "Should Logan bring that Silly Putty into Graceland?"answer "No.  Let's throw that horrific, awful toy in the trashcan," instead of "He's content playing with it.  I think it's fine."  Brad, you were right on this one.  Silly Putty is of the Devil.
This was supposed to be cooler.  It was supposed to be a pic of us on the mirrors on Elvis's ceiling :-)





After Graceland, we just traveled through Arkansas (so help us)
and part of Texas.
Emma has Silly Putty on her nose.  I allowed it because.  .  . blackmail. 

As soon as we entered Texas, we fell head over heels in love.  My goodness!   The sky!  
And the speed limit increased to 75! And suddenly, there was less traffic (Why was there so much traffic in Arkansas?).  We arrived at our hotel later than we would have liked but we found the Texas version of the Eiffel Tower, so it's all good.


They were having a gender reveal at the Eiffel Tower.  It's a Boy!
 Third Day Recap
1.  What was your favorite room in Graceland? Why?
Brad:  the trophy room because you got to learn a lot of cool things
Logan:  the pool room because pool is a fun game.
Emma:  the TV room because of its colors and the mirrors.
Jami:  the kitchen.  I loved looking at the color scheme, formica, and all the old appliances.

2.  What did you think was the weirdest part of the house?
Emma:  Jungle room.
Logan:  The iPads didn't have games on them.
Brad:  The TIGER SUIT!
Jami:  Material on the walls and the ceiling of the pool room that matched the couch.

3.  What did you learn that you did not know before?
Brad:  I didn't know that his highest honor was being named the man of the year by the JayCees.  Oh, and that he never won a Grammy for rock and roll, but he won 3 times for gospel.
Logan:  I didn't know that Elvis lived at Graceland.
Emma:  I didn't know that Elvis had 150 million dollars and he bought a TV.
Jami:  I didn't know that Elvis's grandmother survived him and both of his parents.

4.  What state has been your favorite so far?
Emma:  Texas
Logan:  Graceland.  Tennessee
Brad:  Texas.  Texas has really intelligently designed speed limits.
Jami:  I thought Alabama and Mississippi were beautiful, but I am just loving the Texas sky.

5.  What has been your favorite thing to do in the car?
Emma:  License plate game
Logan:  Eat
Brad:  Sing
Jami:  Just hang out with everyone.

6.  What do you want to do tomorrow?
Brad:  See a tumble weed
Emma:  I want to eat and see Liam.
Logan:  I want to swim in a pool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Set Down Gingerly and with High Anxiety so as Not to Break the Mic or Offend Others 1--Jami Uses Parentheses

Top "A Country Boy Can Survive?" Who can top Waylon? Or wait? Hank?  Or is it Paul McCartney? If you are with me and I am with this blog thing long enough, you will find that song lyrics or attributing them to the right people are not my strong suit (actually details are not my strong suit: names, dates, times, etc.) So it was really unfair for Brad to remember something from high school because I remember NOTHING from high school.  And not because I dropped acid.  Anyone who knows me knows that I did not inhale, imbibe, or get into anything except for MY incredibly baggy pants and Keds :-).  I think--cause, you know, I can't remember. I do remember vaguely that our class motto was "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail," which was attributed on Brainy Quote to Ralph Waldo Emerson (cause I had to look it up), but I don't think we attributed it to him.  Sorry, Ralph (we are on a first name basis because I...

I'm Finished Painting (for now). I Guess I'll Write?

What I've learned throughout the pandemic.  A note for the future Jami who will forget and maybe you. 1.  A lesson I already knew:  Students thrive on positive feedback; especially when they can't see your face.  Remember this future Jami--You created "Digitally Jolly Ranchers" and projected good student work daily.  Do this next year.  Students are exposed to good work daily, and it honors those who are listening, learning, and applying what they have learned.  Future Jami, you also may want to figure out how to create some type of digital bulletin board. 2.  I like being home.  Big time.  It's my favorite place in the world.  I also like making my home comfortable and beautiful.  Don't forget that, Future Jami.  You like projects.  Do them.  Don't drag your feet.  You might like projects better than (or at least equal to) naps. 3.  Jami, you are more productive at night.  It's your natural ...

Logan

I wish I remembered the morning of the day Logan was born, but I was so incredibly tired that everything about that year is a blur.  I'm guessing that Brad and I rode together to school.  Maybe I was too pregnant to touch the pedals :-). I do remember, though, when I first felt the labor pains, and I thought, "I'm not ready!"  My sub plans weren't perfect (Cindy Coker probably laughed uproariously at my plans.  I wrote things like, "say, 'What do you think the theme of this book is?' and then walk to the right side of the classroom and point to the theme poster."  Like Cindy couldn't figure anything out for herself.  Like she is not amazing.) When Logan came into this world.  .  . well, he just came.  Labor and delivery was rather uneventful.  Brad sat in a chair, the nurse was very helpful (actually, she was the amazing part of the experience), and we had a baby at 11:23 PM Thursday, February 26. What was otherworldly was my exha...