Skip to main content

Next, 10 Things I Know to be True

Last year I found Sarah Kay.  If you haven't found Sarah Kay and plunged headlong into her spoken-word poetry, you must get yourself to Ted and watch "If I Should Have a Daughter."  You won't regret it.   And then go to her YouTube page and just, y'all, I don't know, wish you and she were best friends-- or maybe that is only me.  I am always wishing myself into friendships:  Glennon Melton, Jenn Hatmaker, Sarah Bessey--they are all my besties in the imaginary community in my head.  We sit around, drink really strong coffee, have incredibly deep and witty conversations, write really profound things, and make each other into amazing people--or at least drink really strong coffee and laugh.  Of course, there is only a coffee shop in my head--no vomit, no laundry, no papers to grade, no crusty oatmeal bowls.  Just strong coffee and friendship.

Anyway.  Back to Sarah Kay.  In her Ted Talk, she talks about asking her students to write lists of things that they know to be true.  So this is your charge, Brad Denton (and the rest of you who have hung around our blog--comment below or on FB), what are 10 things you know to be true?

Here are mine:
1.  God is good.
2.  So are humans.
3.  Children are hard work.
4.  And so is anything that is truly delightful.
5.  Relationships are worth it . . . even with flawed human beings (cause apparently I'm flawed too).
6.  It is important to always have Clorox wipes on hand--they smell better than the Lysol brand.
7.  You should always have wet wipes in your car.
8.  Students grow when you give them high and clear expectations, love, and care.
9.  You can easily break a child's heart.
10.  Words are powerful and should be used carefully (see #9).

So what are yours?  I'd love to know.  And Brad--you can either do a list OR since you are the poet laureate of GACS, you are welcome to write a poem :-).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Set Down Gingerly and with High Anxiety so as Not to Break the Mic or Offend Others 1--Jami Uses Parentheses

Top "A Country Boy Can Survive?" Who can top Waylon? Or wait? Hank?  Or is it Paul McCartney? If you are with me and I am with this blog thing long enough, you will find that song lyrics or attributing them to the right people are not my strong suit (actually details are not my strong suit: names, dates, times, etc.) So it was really unfair for Brad to remember something from high school because I remember NOTHING from high school.  And not because I dropped acid.  Anyone who knows me knows that I did not inhale, imbibe, or get into anything except for MY incredibly baggy pants and Keds :-).  I think--cause, you know, I can't remember. I do remember vaguely that our class motto was "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail," which was attributed on Brainy Quote to Ralph Waldo Emerson (cause I had to look it up), but I don't think we attributed it to him.  Sorry, Ralph (we are on a first name basis because I...

I'm Finished Painting (for now). I Guess I'll Write?

What I've learned throughout the pandemic.  A note for the future Jami who will forget and maybe you. 1.  A lesson I already knew:  Students thrive on positive feedback; especially when they can't see your face.  Remember this future Jami--You created "Digitally Jolly Ranchers" and projected good student work daily.  Do this next year.  Students are exposed to good work daily, and it honors those who are listening, learning, and applying what they have learned.  Future Jami, you also may want to figure out how to create some type of digital bulletin board. 2.  I like being home.  Big time.  It's my favorite place in the world.  I also like making my home comfortable and beautiful.  Don't forget that, Future Jami.  You like projects.  Do them.  Don't drag your feet.  You might like projects better than (or at least equal to) naps. 3.  Jami, you are more productive at night.  It's your natural ...

Logan

I wish I remembered the morning of the day Logan was born, but I was so incredibly tired that everything about that year is a blur.  I'm guessing that Brad and I rode together to school.  Maybe I was too pregnant to touch the pedals :-). I do remember, though, when I first felt the labor pains, and I thought, "I'm not ready!"  My sub plans weren't perfect (Cindy Coker probably laughed uproariously at my plans.  I wrote things like, "say, 'What do you think the theme of this book is?' and then walk to the right side of the classroom and point to the theme poster."  Like Cindy couldn't figure anything out for herself.  Like she is not amazing.) When Logan came into this world.  .  . well, he just came.  Labor and delivery was rather uneventful.  Brad sat in a chair, the nurse was very helpful (actually, she was the amazing part of the experience), and we had a baby at 11:23 PM Thursday, February 26. What was otherworldly was my exha...