Skip to main content

Brad Brings You Topic #3 -- #litnerds

            When I was a wee first semester M.A. student at Georgia Southern University I took a course in Dante.  It was rather ambitious, I’ll admit, but at that time my intention to receive a graduate degree in English was rather ambitious; up to that point the closest I had gotten to utilizing that B.A. was my stellar work during nights and weekends at Barnes and Noble.  To my shock and surprise, though, our entire first four-hour seminar class concerned NOT ONLY Dante himself nor JUST the six phrases of Italian I had hurriedly memorized in the week prior to the course when I learned I had misread the prerequisite language requirements. Instead, our diminutive professor announced that we would use our study of Dante to speculate about and identify the Next Big Thing – she explained that literature was merely a succession of historical movements that echoed societal ones, and that “any idiot” could analyze trends to describe the state of modern literature and its future.  Well, I’m not just “any idiot.”  I was stumped.  I do not even remember my answer at the time, but I think I used the words “existential,” “postmodern,” “ironical,” and “paradigm” at a record-breaking clip.

            Strangely enough, though I cannot remember my answer to her question I remember very clearly where it led me.  Everyone else in the class seemed to accept that an essay about the present and future of modern literature was some kind of witty time-killing icebreaker; I, however, was haunted by the question.  So haunted, in fact, that the existential dilemma posed there pushed me towards the single most embarrassing moment I ever created as a graduate student – one week later I cornered our professor (Ph.D. with honors, Double Emphasis in Comparative Literature and Medieval Italian, Michigan) with tears in my eyes to ask if literature even had a future, because, think about it, what role can metacognition play in a world where irony has become the principal method of discourse and the world had developed to a point where it no longer mattered if you noticed the ruminative power of nature because we were in a modern age where the machine THE MACHINE rules NO WAIT SORRY I forgot Ezra Pound already did that and Lord knows we can't unwittingly engage the past so if we cannot trust our society or ourselves and we have run the course on the Confessional claptrap and that Language crap doesn’t make sense to anyone but NOAM CRAPPING CHOMSKY AND IF WE USE ONLY IRONY TO TALK TO ONE ANOTHER WE NEVER SAY ANYTHING, ONLY AN APPROXIMATION OF THE THING (BUT WE’RE SUPPOSED TO FIND THAT ENGAGING?  HUH?  REALLY?) ONLY GOD HELP US IF WE DO NOT UNDERSTAND OUR FEEBLE ATTEMPTS AT COMMUNICATING YOU MUST SEE PEOPLE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND ONE ANOTHER BECAUSE WE ARE TRAPPED IN TALKING MEAT COMPUTERS LACKING TRUE DISCOURSE SUBSTITUTING WHAT WE THINK WE ARE EXPRESSING FOR AN UNWANTED UNCHOSEN EXISTENTIAL POSTMODERN IRONICAL PARADIGM . . . I’m sorry, what?  

She interrupted me to ask if someone in my family had recently died.
           
I write this in partial explanation of my own hand wringing.  Simply put, if you ask me where contemporary American poetry (or letters) is going, I will answer honestly.  I do not know.  I have absolutely no ability to predict the Next Big Thing; I would never ever in a million years have believed that Robert Grenier or Charles Olson would craft a poetic career.  

So I turn to you, Lovely Jami, and ask -- where is literature going?  Is literature dead?  What does the future hold?  Come now -- if you can ask about love, I can ask about this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Set Down Gingerly and with High Anxiety so as Not to Break the Mic or Offend Others 1--Jami Uses Parentheses

Top "A Country Boy Can Survive?" Who can top Waylon? Or wait? Hank?  Or is it Paul McCartney? If you are with me and I am with this blog thing long enough, you will find that song lyrics or attributing them to the right people are not my strong suit (actually details are not my strong suit: names, dates, times, etc.) So it was really unfair for Brad to remember something from high school because I remember NOTHING from high school.  And not because I dropped acid.  Anyone who knows me knows that I did not inhale, imbibe, or get into anything except for MY incredibly baggy pants and Keds :-).  I think--cause, you know, I can't remember. I do remember vaguely that our class motto was "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail," which was attributed on Brainy Quote to Ralph Waldo Emerson (cause I had to look it up), but I don't think we attributed it to him.  Sorry, Ralph (we are on a first name basis because I...

I'm Finished Painting (for now). I Guess I'll Write?

What I've learned throughout the pandemic.  A note for the future Jami who will forget and maybe you. 1.  A lesson I already knew:  Students thrive on positive feedback; especially when they can't see your face.  Remember this future Jami--You created "Digitally Jolly Ranchers" and projected good student work daily.  Do this next year.  Students are exposed to good work daily, and it honors those who are listening, learning, and applying what they have learned.  Future Jami, you also may want to figure out how to create some type of digital bulletin board. 2.  I like being home.  Big time.  It's my favorite place in the world.  I also like making my home comfortable and beautiful.  Don't forget that, Future Jami.  You like projects.  Do them.  Don't drag your feet.  You might like projects better than (or at least equal to) naps. 3.  Jami, you are more productive at night.  It's your natural ...

Logan

I wish I remembered the morning of the day Logan was born, but I was so incredibly tired that everything about that year is a blur.  I'm guessing that Brad and I rode together to school.  Maybe I was too pregnant to touch the pedals :-). I do remember, though, when I first felt the labor pains, and I thought, "I'm not ready!"  My sub plans weren't perfect (Cindy Coker probably laughed uproariously at my plans.  I wrote things like, "say, 'What do you think the theme of this book is?' and then walk to the right side of the classroom and point to the theme poster."  Like Cindy couldn't figure anything out for herself.  Like she is not amazing.) When Logan came into this world.  .  . well, he just came.  Labor and delivery was rather uneventful.  Brad sat in a chair, the nurse was very helpful (actually, she was the amazing part of the experience), and we had a baby at 11:23 PM Thursday, February 26. What was otherworldly was my exha...