Skip to main content

Sub Plan #4 -- 10 things I know to be true.

I'm going to keep the editorializing short, because I am exhausted by travel, and graduate school, and school responsibility, and life.  I'm actually cheating a bit, I think: these 10 are things I know to be true, but I picked all of them up from other people.

1.)  From my mother, about racism:  I dare you to have someone over to your house for a meal and then hate them.
2.)  From my father, about bullying:  You can't stop them from hurting you or even killing you -- all you can do is set the price.  Make your price high.
3.)  From DeeDee:  Nothing, and I mean nothing, passes a slow evening like a good western.
4.)  From Papa:  Life sometime stinks, Motorscooter, but when it does you can always go get a Chocolate Soldier at the Wynnburg Grocery.
5.)  From MeeMaw:  Interesting?  You haven't known interesting until you've flipped the dial on a police scanner in Lake County, Tennessee.
6.) From Carol Denton:   You can't change the past.  All you can do is love your kids.
7.) From longtime DHS English teacher Dorothy Camp:  Never back a child into a corner, because you make them bare their teeth and attack you to survive.
8.) From Dustin Adkins:   Some people don't need your service, but your dignity.  You show them dignity by giving them your time.
9.) From Jami Denton:  Don't you dare try to limit your culpability by comparing what you did with what other people did . . . I don't care about what other people did, because you can't control them or their reactions.  But you can control yourself.
10.)  From Elwood P. Dowd:  Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

New topic when my energy returns! Wait - how about we don't wait for that, and shoot for sometime this weekend?

Comments