Skip to main content

I Felt Wise--or Creative, Might Delete Later

Sitting in my chair--the chair that has become an extension of me during quarantine--I felt this overwhelming need to write.  I usually can quell this feeling with a FB post, or just scrolling absently through my feed, but today there are a lot of big thoughts. Maybe this is because the section in Disciplines for the Inner Life that I am lackadaisically reading is on journaling.  My first thought when I read that "Journalling" is the title the of the chapter I'm supposed to be almost finished with today (I took a three day break, so, um, yeh) was (also, I'm not proofreading these verbs.  Feel free to proofread mentally if that's your thing.  I'll only judge you mildly.)  "Sigh.  Another chapter to make me feel guilty about the loser I am at all things I'm supposed to be doing in my life." 

See I have this constant tension--the me I should be and the me I actually am.  I should wake up at 5 and get myself emotionally prepared for the day ahead of me.  I actually get up 10 minutes after I the last moment when I could realistically be ready for my day on time.  I should walk every day for at least 30 minutes and I should enjoy it.  I actually force myself to walk around the circle of my street every once in a while so that Logan can ride his bike and I can scream at him to "STOP!" when cars are going too quickly around curves.  I should limit my own and my family's screen time.  I actually get alerts that my screen time has gone up 25% every week. 

When I look at FB and Instagram, I don't envy vacations or homes or svelte bodies.  I envy service and productivity and good parenting. 

In January I had a come to Jesus moment with myself.  I said, "Self, stop beating yourself up because you are not a morning person, you are not a person who writes notes to people, you change your family's sheets every once in a while when you remember it.  Just stop it.  How is it adding a minute onto your life? How is it helping anyone?  Start embracing who you are and by God, you are 44.  Don't you think it is time you figure it out?"  (My inner voice is not very kind even when she is trying to be kind.  The irony of her tone is not lost on me).

So my New Year's Resolution is/was to be confident in who I am--whoever that is--and to stop the shoulds. 

And man, this is hard work.  I feel them creeping in all the time, and I always wonder if they are the voice of God.  Is this God nudging me?  Should I listen to this voice?  Or should I just take a nap? 

Most of the time I take a nap.

So I am saying all of this to say this--I think I might lackadaisically journal.  Maybe.  Maybe this is who I am?  Maybe I can do this instead of walking around this block?  This sounds like more fun. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Set Down Gingerly and with High Anxiety so as Not to Break the Mic or Offend Others 1--Jami Uses Parentheses

Top "A Country Boy Can Survive?" Who can top Waylon? Or wait? Hank?  Or is it Paul McCartney? If you are with me and I am with this blog thing long enough, you will find that song lyrics or attributing them to the right people are not my strong suit (actually details are not my strong suit: names, dates, times, etc.) So it was really unfair for Brad to remember something from high school because I remember NOTHING from high school.  And not because I dropped acid.  Anyone who knows me knows that I did not inhale, imbibe, or get into anything except for MY incredibly baggy pants and Keds :-).  I think--cause, you know, I can't remember. I do remember vaguely that our class motto was "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail," which was attributed on Brainy Quote to Ralph Waldo Emerson (cause I had to look it up), but I don't think we attributed it to him.  Sorry, Ralph (we are on a first name basis because I...

I'm Finished Painting (for now). I Guess I'll Write?

What I've learned throughout the pandemic.  A note for the future Jami who will forget and maybe you. 1.  A lesson I already knew:  Students thrive on positive feedback; especially when they can't see your face.  Remember this future Jami--You created "Digitally Jolly Ranchers" and projected good student work daily.  Do this next year.  Students are exposed to good work daily, and it honors those who are listening, learning, and applying what they have learned.  Future Jami, you also may want to figure out how to create some type of digital bulletin board. 2.  I like being home.  Big time.  It's my favorite place in the world.  I also like making my home comfortable and beautiful.  Don't forget that, Future Jami.  You like projects.  Do them.  Don't drag your feet.  You might like projects better than (or at least equal to) naps. 3.  Jami, you are more productive at night.  It's your natural ...

Logan

I wish I remembered the morning of the day Logan was born, but I was so incredibly tired that everything about that year is a blur.  I'm guessing that Brad and I rode together to school.  Maybe I was too pregnant to touch the pedals :-). I do remember, though, when I first felt the labor pains, and I thought, "I'm not ready!"  My sub plans weren't perfect (Cindy Coker probably laughed uproariously at my plans.  I wrote things like, "say, 'What do you think the theme of this book is?' and then walk to the right side of the classroom and point to the theme poster."  Like Cindy couldn't figure anything out for herself.  Like she is not amazing.) When Logan came into this world.  .  . well, he just came.  Labor and delivery was rather uneventful.  Brad sat in a chair, the nurse was very helpful (actually, she was the amazing part of the experience), and we had a baby at 11:23 PM Thursday, February 26. What was otherworldly was my exha...